July 06, 2008

Life Before Cell Phones?

Does anyone remember what our daily lives were like prior to the advent of cell phones? Way back when people could only reach you when you were home or at work (or thru email)? Back when you could go grocery shopping without hearing some loud mouthed idiot talking practically in your ear as they just happen to be contemplating the items on the shelf next to you, or standing behind you in the checkout line? Or carrying on some private conversation while standing in other store lines so loudly that you cannot hear or be heard by the sales clerk? Or when people generally used two hands and a mostly full brain to drive a car before they came to consider signaling and paying attention as optional while they are on their cell? How about riding a bicycle? The other day, I saw a teenager riding a bike on a busy road (175) at rush hour while talking on his cell phone. Do you think he was paying attention to the cars that were whizzing by him?

Don't get me wrong. I carry a cell phone and occasionally use it in public settings and when driving. But when I do, I try to be mindful of the people around me and I pay attention to my environment. I don't want to become a statistic. Do you?

No comments: